KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of eight elementary schools, nine middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Forward, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 9,350 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 850. KIPP NYC is continuing to grow and opened two new middle schools and an elementary school August 2021!
About KIPP NYC College Prep High School:
KIPP NYC College Prep is a free college-preparatory public school serving students from KIPP NYC’s five middle schools. In July 2009, KIPP NYC College Prep opened its doors to its founding 9th grade class. Now fully grown, the high school serves over 1000 students. We have set ambitious goals for our students: 95% will graduate from high school, 85% will matriculate to college, and 75% will graduate from college. Year over year, we have exceeded both our graduation and matriculation goals, and are on track for over 50% of our alumni to graduate from college (5x the national average for low-income students), while continuing to work towards our ultimate 75% college graduation goal for our students.
KIPP NYC College Prep High School seeks experienced educators for the 2022-2023 school year. Teachers who join our team will be part of content-specific departments as KIPP NYC College Prep enters its 12th year. We are seeking teachers of all content areas.
General responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Planning a college preparatory curriculum that combines the school’s standards, New York State Standards, and, most importantly, fosters critical thinking.
- Executing thoughtful, rigorous daily college preparatory lessons.
- Assessing student progress, and communicating results to students, families, and colleagues.
- Providing individual and small group instruction until all students achieve mastery.
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- Modeling a “whatever it takes” spirit to ensure that each student is successful.
- Advising a small group of students to success through their four years of high school.
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a collegial working environment and a healthy measure of the character traits we value: zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude and a sense of humor.
- At least two years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- New York State teacher certification in the appropriate content area
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
- A strong desire to become a better teacher by joining the KIPP NYC team and family
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of students within our KIPP NYC communities
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.