Job Summary: The Academic Advisor is responsible for serving prospective and currently enrolled undergraduate students including advisement to facilitate registration, enrollment, major/minor selection, retention, graduation and monitoring academic standing. This role will maintain the professional operation of the Office of Academic Advising and Student Services.
Qualifications: Education: Bachelors Degree. Masters degree in related field preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in academic advisement in a collegiate/higher education setting including: transfer credit evaluations, degree audits, and graduation clearance. Demonstrated knowledge of the policies and procedures of the College and undergraduate Deans Offices.
Specialized Skills: Excellent organizational, written, oral, and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated proficiency utilizing various computer systems (Microsoft Office, PeopleSoft Student Information System, and others as needed); detail oriented.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advisement for undergraduate and transfer students including course selection, transfer credit evaluations, major and minor decisions, degree requirements, monitoring academic standing, program plans, change of status, interschool transfers.
- Respond to student inquiries and resolve issues related to curriculum, course prerequisites, referencing current catalogs, websites, and other appropriate resources.
- Maintain individual student files including pertinent advising and other notes.
- Prepare form and individual letters and other communications, schedule meetings and appointments, secure requested information, and prepare summary reports.
- Assist in supervision and operation of the front desk in the Academic Advising and Student Services Office.
- Administer reviews and status of student records, conducting reviews of all student records at critical credit thresholds of 30, 60, 90, and 120+ credits to ensure fastest time to degree completion.
- Serve as the student liaison with all academic and ancillary support offices (e.g. Counseling, CAP, Athletics, etc.) on campus, as pertains to advising and registration, student goals, and College initiatives.
- Participate in Orientation programs as needed
- Provide frequent feedback on student status and success to Senior Director of Academic Advising and Student Services, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Deans as needed.
- Conduct information sessions for students. Deliver oral and written presentations to faculty, students, employers, and administrators.
- Participate in Commencement activities.
- Assist in monitoring and review web pages related to undergraduate student academic services.
- Serve as liaison with Department Chairs, Faculty, Registrar, and Student Financial Services and other necessary units.
- Other duties as needed by the Senior Director and Provosts Office.
Founded in 1940, Iona College is a master’s-granting private, Catholic, coeducational institution of learning in the tradition of the Edmund Rice Christian Brothers. Iona’s 45-acre campus is just 20 miles north of Midtown Manhattan. With a total enrollment of nearly 4,000 students and an alumni base of over 50,000 around the world, Iona is a diverse community of learners and scholars dedicated to academic excellence and the values of justice, peace and service. Iona is highly accredited, offering undergraduate degrees in liberal arts, science, and business administration, as well as Master of Arts, Master of Science and Master of Business Administration degrees and numerous advanced certificate programs. Iona’s LaPenta School of Business is accredited by AACSB International, a prestigious recognition awarded to just five percent of business schools worldwide. The Princeton Review recognized Iona’s on-campus MBA program as a “Best Business School for 2020.” Iona College also recently launched a new, fully online MBA program for even greater flexibility.
Iona College is committed to attracting and supporting a staff and faculty of women and men that fully represents the racial, ethnic and cultural diversity of the nation and our institution; as a result, we actively seek applications from individuals of all backgrounds and beliefs
Location: 715 North Avenue, New Rochelle, NY 10801
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.