Position: College & Careers Counselor
Program/Department: Center for College & Careers
Reports To: CCC Director
Location: Mount Vernon High School
Salary: ~ (45,000)
Position Summary: The Center for College & Careers (CCC) is at the heart of our youth and young adult programs. The CCC transforms the lives of youth and young adults (ages 13-24) so they can pursue post-secondary education or start on a career track. CCC helps participants develop skills and confidence while creating opportunities for them to have successful futures in whatever path they choose. The College & Careers Counselor assist students with college and career planning in 9th-12 grades including case management, college admission preparation, college exploration, financial aid application, scholarship searches, and career pathways workshops.
Responsibilities: The College & Careers Counselor is responsible for working with 50 students in grades 9th through 12th, many of these students are first in their family to imagine college. The core duties and responsibilities of the College & Careers Counselor includes:
- Develop individualize college/career portfolio for each student.
- Meet with students as needed to address life issues that are interfering with their ability to focus in school and plan for their futures, provide constructive feedback and positive socialization.
- Educate and advise students and parents about college, the college admission process, financial aid, etc.
- Work with students and parents on college enrollment (FASFA, TAP, Common App, Naviance, etc.).
- Assist students in their college process: reviewing college essay(s), college application(s), resumes, etc.
- Assist students in applying for Scholarships.
- Organize and supervise local and overnight college tours.
- Organize and facilitate workshops on resume writing, interviewing, time management, and other soft and hard skill development topics.
- Connect with students at least quarterly in their first year of college.
- Coordinate Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) and provide all administrative support for the program.
- Recruit 20 youth for Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP).
- Facilitate R.E.A.D.I training and other career development workshops to program participants and SYEP youth.
- Coordinate college and career workshops, evaluation, skill training, job-readiness training, resume building, interview techniques.
- Collect, review, prepare and submit data and program reports.
- Support a high-performing culture aligned with TGCW core values and B.A.S.I.C Tenets: Balance, Accountability, Satisfaction, Inclusion, and Communication.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Education or Counseling preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and counseling abilities.
- Experience working with High School students; case management, college, and career exploration and readiness, and individual and/or group guidance.
- Experience working with a culturally and socioeconomically diverse student population.
- Knowledge in management and recruitment procedures.
- Ability to engage and motivate disconnected youth.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills: caseload folders and notes.
- Ability to work independently.
- Bilingual (Spanish & English).
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Natural ability to be flexible, creative, and tech-savvy.
Travel Requirements: ~30
Physical Requirements: These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to perform the job’s essential functions successfully. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the position, which are reviewed in each case.
While performing the responsibilities of the role, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.