Justice for all Immigrants
Justice for all Immigrants (“JFAI”) is hiring a full-time Legal Assistant to provide support to a deportation defense Staff Attorney and clients under the Harris County Immigrant Legal Services Fund (“ILSF”). The Legal Assistant will provide assistance in the provision of high quality immigration legal services to low-income detained immigrants at the four Houston area detention facilities. The Legal Assistant should have a strong commitment to public interest law and to the empowerment of immigrant communities. He/she will be under the supervision of the Legal Director and ILSF Staff Attorney.
JFAI is a non-profit immigration legal service provider which offers immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in the greater Houston region. JFAI is an independent non-profit organization which provides legal services to clients of all faiths and backgrounds. JFAI is a member of the National Justice for Our Neighbors (JFON) network, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
The purpose of the ILSF is to provide legal representation for immigrant community members, children and families facing the threat of deportation. Within Harris County, many immigrants and their families face the constant fear of arrest and deportation – leading to increased mental health stressors that impact our wider community health. Harris County strives to keep residents safe and is committed to ensuring immigrants have access to fair and affordable legal representation in deportation proceedings.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Conduct client screening, intakes, and follow-up interviews at detention facilities
· Prepare immigration applications and documents to be filed with the Immigration Court, DHS, and USCIS
· Meet with clients to prepare and review applications for filing
· Receive case assignment, organize case files, maintain case list for the attorney and generate case statistics
· Maintain case files and update the case-tracking system
· Provide interpretation and translation support in client matters
· Conduct research in law and country conditions background
· Prepare documents and files for Immigration Court, DHS, and USCIS
· Conduct community outreach and community legal education
· Collect and process in-coming mail and prepare packages for mailing
· Other duties, activities, and responsibilities, as assigned
Required Qualifications and Work Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred but not required
· One to two years’ work experience in legal services or human services (one year of recent paralegal experience in family-based immigration or removal defense strongly preferred)
· Fluency in English and Spanish (written, spoken and comprehension)
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish
· Dedication to and experience in serving low income or immigrant populations
· Strong organizational skills, ability to manage caseload, strict deadlines, and other tasks simultaneously
· Proficiency in MS Office applications, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
· Reliable transportation, valid Texas Driver’s License and evidence of insurability
The Legal Assistant should have a strong commitment to public interest law and to the enfranchisement and empowerment of immigrant communities.
Salary and Benefits
A competitive salary and benefits will be provided including generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave, health insurance coverage, and trainings. JFAI is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, immigration status, disability, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 – $42,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Houston, TX 77012: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- immigration legal: 1 year (Required)
- Spanish (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.