Position Summary: Provide all aspects of care to program residents to enable them to become independent and productive individuals. Some knowledge of computers is needed.
Each DSP must be able to perform the following functions in order to ensure the life safety, care and well being of the individuals served by Welllife Network.
- Ensures that all activities enhance and support each persons social responsibility, independence, dignity and continued growth.
- Implements goals designed to maximize each residents level of independence, as determined by the IDT, including but not limited to: budgeting, grooming, nutritional planning, use of public transportation, use of community resources, shopping and housekeeping.
- Must successfully complete and perform all techniques required in AMAP, SCIP, CPR and First Aid. Employment is conditional upon passing the exams for each course.
- Coordinates evacuation and ensures residents safety in actual emergencies and fire drills. Essential functions of this duty include: the ability to climb and descend fire escapes and assist others to do the same. This may include both verbal and physical prompting and the ability to perform first aid for the residents.
- Administers medication and/or monitors a residents self-administration of medication as a certified AMAP. This includes documentation of the computerized EMAR (Electronic Medication Administration Record) system, where applicable. (This may not apply to relief staff).
- Responsible for crisis intervention and incident reporting procedures.
- Responsible for monitoring and recording residents progress on daily checklists, any behavior contracts, quarterly summaries, monthly goal forms and progress notes, family contact log, monthly and daily recreation reports, clothing and personal effects inventory.
- Required to display proficiency while entering person served data documentation in the electronic data system.
- Communicates relevant information to other staff and supervisor(s), verbally and in writing, (i.e., daily communication log, telephone log, incident reports, medication and behavior incident reports.)
- Meets routinely with residents and the management team to review goal progress, identify participant needs and update program plans. Assist residents in researching and obtaining community resources appropriate and applicable to their needs and goals.
- Assist residents in planning and follow through on or escorts residents to evening and weekend recreational activities. Participates in moderate physical activities as part of recreation program.
- Assists in planning of daily activities and events.
- Provides training in ADL and other areas, performs these functions for residents requiring total support, specifically staff will perform all aspects of the task i.e., showering, shaving, toileting, hand washing, mouth care.
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings, mandatory in-service training sessions, and assigned annual meetings within the residence and day program.
- Acts as a role model for residents in various settings/situations.
- Follow-up on any aftercare/recommendations for treatment. Escort/accompany residents as needed on appointments (medical, psychiatric, etc.).
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Work schedules and locations are subject to change based upon consumer and/or program need.
- Other duties as requested.
High School diploma or equivalency diploma required. Experience working with adults with intellectual/developmental or other behavioral health disabilities preferred.
Location: 161-11 130th Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11434
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.05 per hour