Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of hire.
STRIVE is a national leader in creating pathways to economic opportunity for predominantly low-income Black and Brown communities. Serving adults of all different ages, genders, races, and justice-involved backgrounds, STRIVE’s proven model accelerates graduates toward career advancement and upward mobility. Since its founding in 1984, STRIVE has helped more than 80,000 graduates prepare for career success through their free programs. See the STRIVE Difference in this 3-minute video or learn more at strive.org.
STRIVE operates in New York City and through licensed partners in cities across the country. In 2019, STRIVE embarked on an ambitious growth plan to expand our impact in current and new cities and opened STRIVE Atlanta in 2020.
The Employment Specialist will support STRIVE in all its programs. The Employment Specialist will possess the ability to create job opportunities in job markets consistent with the skills and abilities of assigned client caseload. This role will work as a mediator between employers and job seekers to understand the interests and requirements of the job seekers and help them obtain job opportunities.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to help people identify any barriers to employment, enhance their strengths, and improve their job skills. This role will work with clients who need guidance with career development or assistance with functioning in a workplace.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with trainers to schedule and provide the job development introduction, mock interviews, and post mock interview sessions. Prepare participants for interviews and make them aware of the employment services they will receive upon graduation.
- Obtain documentation and verbal insight from trainers as to graduates’ aptitudes, abilities, and desires.
- Business Development /Sales: Develop new business to secure employment opportunities for graduates.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the targeted industries.
- Review open positions with partnering employers to attempt job placement of clients. If no appropriate positions are available, make cold calls and/or work with other job developers to ensure a placement as soon as possible.
- Develop and maintain successful relationships with employers to seek new career/internship opportunities for participants and influence the retention and success of participants.
- Pre-screen participants for work-ready status in the areas of initial screenings, career assessments, educational testing and/or other appropriate assessments and place qualified participants for employment opportunities with employers.
- Conduct participant follow-up after normal business hours as needed to maintain open dialogue with placed clients.
- Acquire verification of employment documentation for placed participants
- Document and track all records, including job requirements, job descriptions, job orders, participants, company contacts and visits, services and placements, employer site checks, wage information, and miscellaneous activities in our data systems.
- Meet monthly career development placement goals and track related activity using web-based data system.
- Provide replacement services for participants as needed.
- Provide coaching in effective job search techniques.
- Complete other tasks as assigned or needed.
· Working knowledge of MS Office.
· Ability to multitask and coordinate job interviews, job orders, employer meetings, and activities with ease.
· Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent organizational and problem-solving ability.
· Respect to diversity.
· Ability to inspire and motivate.
· Minimum of two year’s job development experience preferred.
· Sales and/or public relations experience a plus.
· High school diploma or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this classification. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this classification, the employee must possess the physical capabilities to perform the following: the ability to carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds, sitting, typing, reaching, handling, talking, hearing, seeing, standing, walking, stooping, and bending. While performing the duties of this classification, the employee works in an office setting where the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
STRIVE offers the following benefits:
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Pre-tax Commuter Plans
- Summer Fridays
STRIVE considers applicants for all positions without regard to race; color; religion; gender; national origin; age; sexual orientation; marital or veteran status; the presence of a medical condition, genetic information or handicap, unrelated to performing the tasks of the job; or any other legally protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,000.00 – $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- New York, NY 10035: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Employment Coaches & Counselors: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location