Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our goal is to transform the life of every person impacted by a cleft lip or palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free, life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for Manager, Development who will work to build and strengthen relationships with our mid-level donors. The Manager will work collaboratively with the development team and other internal staff to build resources that will assist in creating a donor-centric moves management approach to optimize giving and move qualified donors into a major gift portfolio.
This is an invaluable opportunity for a development professional to advance their career in fundraising. The Manager, Development will help grow our high-value program with a focus on the identification and qualification of potential mid-to-major gift donors, assist with development events, and support various stewardship and cultivation efforts. As prospects with the capacity and inclination to make special, major, and principal gifts are identified, the Manager will work to transition these prospects to the most appropriate major-gift/development officers.
The Manager will report to the Director, Annual Leadership Development, and will work closely with colleagues across the organization. This is a full-time role starting as soon as possible. Our ideal candidate is based in New York City. Note: this is a hybrid role, and the COVID-19 vaccine is required for all US-based employees, except in the case of approved medical or religious exemption.
- Manage a portfolio of 300-400 prospects, with a target of 100 meaningful contacts per month with the goal of identifying prospects who have the capacity, affinity, and propensity to make gifts aligned with our Premier Circle ($1,000+).
- Develop strategies that will identify, engage, and prepare donors for annual solicitations, with the specific goal of moving donors into a higher annual giving segment.
- Conduct phone/video calls with donors to determine (qualify) their level of support/engagement and ways to increase that commitment.
- Recruit and potentially manage potential volunteers for stewardship and cultivation activities that allow us to gain an understanding of their needs as donors and align with giving donors a better experience as Smile Train supporters.
- Document contacts and implement moves management strategies using Salesforce and work with broader development team to discuss plans to move qualified donors into a major gift portfolio.
- Participate in (and assist with as needed) Smile Train events to cultivate relationships with donors, prospects, key volunteers, and all internal partners, including colleagues across the organization and around the globe.
- Serve as a member of the Fundraising Strategy working group to expand experiences for our donors
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (such as fundraising, non-profit management)
- 1-3 years’ experience in a fundraising environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen and interact effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- The ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with other team members and in managing multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to travel, when necessary, for donor visits and organizational events
- Success working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong ROI orientation
- Detail-oriented; Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain perspective and a sense of humor
Smile Train believes that a workforce made up of people from diverse social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds results in a dynamic workplace and enhances the important work that we do. We are committed providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, marital/familial status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual and reproductive health decisions, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through the link below. Include a copy of your resume and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.