Health Director (BEAM Discovery, New York City, Full-Time)
Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics, a project of the Art of Problem Solving Initiative, Inc., is seeking two full-time health directors for a program that gives everyone a chance to excel in mathematics. The role of Nurse/Health Director is a position that supports BEAM’s operations by allowing our students to attend BEAM Discovery and safely handle medical conditions during the program. The program will take place at the campus of New Design High School on the Lower East Side in summer 2022. It is a 5-week program with around 140 students.
This job is ideal for someone who wants to relax this summer and loves kids. We are asking you to be on campus Monday-Friday 9:00am-4:30pm and to accompany us on one Saturday field trip. While you are asked to be on campus whenever the program is running, students spend most of that time in class and incidents are rare. You are welcome to participate in activities to engage and bond with the campers/students, however, you may spend any free, on-call time how you would like at your nurse’s desk.
- Review program safety plan; ensure all work is done in accordance with the safety plan.
- Review student medical records.
- Verify that immunizations are up-to-date
- Advise the Site Director of any medical conditions that require special attention.
- Attend staff training before the summer to learn procedures and give basic advice to staff for responding to medical issues.
- Set up the nurse’s station.
- Meet each student as they arrive at the program site and collect any medications they brought with them.
Regular Medical Tasks
- Administer COVID tests to staff and students. Submit samples for processing.
- Watch students self-administer meds.
- Administer First Aid as needed.
- Log all medical interactions.
Emergency Medical Support
- Consult on emergency situations.
- Administer CPR as needed.
- Use campus AED as needed.
- Refer students as needed to urgent care and/or the emergency room as needed for diagnosis.
- Supervise the return of medications to students at the conclusion of the program.
- Organize medical documents generated during the summer for archiving.
This role requires you to be on campus:
- During training/set-up (July 6-8), for six hours to review medical records, set up nurse’s station, and attend staff training (schedule is flexible)
- Monday-Friday 9:00am-4:30pm for the five weeks students are at the program (July 11-August 12); note that exact program hours may shift as final contracts are signed with host locations
- One Saturday (exact date to be determined) for six hours to attend a field trip
- During wrap up (Monday, August 15) for six hours to complete paperwork and pack the nurse’s supplies
Above all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about the work and impact of BEAM. It is much more important to us that we hire someone with the right approach than someone with a particular background. That said, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Must be certified as an RN or LPN in the state of New York.
- RN preferred.
- Past pediatric experience preferred.
Commitment to Diversity
BEAM believes that our staff, at all levels and across all roles, should represent the backgrounds of the students we serve. We are committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment. Beyond a commitment to nondiscrimination, we strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and marginalized communities.
Compensation for this position is based on an hourly rate of $35/hour for an RN and $28/hour for an LPN. The role is budgeted for up to 198 hours of work.
While our intention is to hold our programs in person, we reserve the right to hold our programs virtually for the Summer of 2022 depending on community spread of COVID-19. We will continue to monitor the situation and give updates as needed. All BEAM employees that work in-person must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of work as a term and condition of employment at BEAM. In addition to being fully vaccinated, BEAM requires all eligible employees to receive a booster. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Beyond being vaccinated, this role will require weekly COVID testing and that you meet the program’s masking and other safety requirements, which are laid out in BEAM’s 2022 Safety Policies. Broadly speaking, you can expect to wear a mask at all times indoors, unless you are actively eating or drinking.
We ask all applicants to submit an application, including their resume and answers to a few short questions. After reviewing your materials, we will contact you regarding next steps. We believe in the importance of demonstrated ability and work samples. Some applicants will proceed to an interview to allow our hiring team to learn more about their skills and experiences. We work hard to recognize the time you put into the process and we won’t load you down with any unnecessary bureaucracy.
Priority Deadline to Apply: March 31, 2022. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis until roles are filled.
For accommodation requests related to the job application process, please contact Emily New-Cruse, Human Resources Coordinator, [email protected]