The Emergency and Hospitalist Medicine Nurse Practitioner will deliver primary health care in the Emergency Department setting to include, but not limited to, the recognition and management of common illnesses and injuries; and the provisioning of care across the health care continuum with emphasis on early detection, treatment, and prevention of diseases.
- Obtains and records patient history
- Performs physical and medical screening examinations
- Completes diagnostic and therapeutic studies
- Orders diagnostic laboratory tests, radiological studies or other therapies as appropriate
- Establishes diagnostic decision-making and initiates a treatment plan, which may include
- ordering medications, additional therapeutic modalities, etc.
- Coordinates patient care with other members of the health care team. Initiates consultation requests to other health professionals to provide more comprehensive patient management.
- Instructs and counsels patients regarding mental and physical health, referring patients to appropriate specialists/resources.
- Completes charting in a thorough and timely manner
- Adequately manages patient flow in the Emergency Department
- Performs procedures as allowed by state law and under the direction of the supervising or collaborating physician
- Works within legal, regulatory, and ethical practice standards
- Actively participates in Emergency Department staff meetings and risk management education
- Completes required courses, i.e. HIPAA, EMTALA and other CME /CEU requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master s degree in Nursing
- NP Certification
- Registered Professional Nurse with current NJ state license; CDS and DEA.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ACLS) Certifications
- Prior work experience as a professional nurse.
- Active membership in a professional organization preferred
- Ability and willingness accommodate scheduling needs including working extended hours, weekdays, overnights, weekends, and holidays
Knowledge and Skills:
- Medical and broad based clinical emergency medicine knowledge
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and successfully work with all emergency department and hospital employees
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH- Rahway and Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state s largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an accountable care organization.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- 401 (k)
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
RWJBarnabas Health is an
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.