The primary purpose of your job position is to supervise the day-to-day nursing activities of the facility during your tour of duty. Such supervision must be in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations that govern our facility, and as may be required by the Director of Nursing Services, to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Director of Nursing Services in directing the day-to-day functions of the nursing activities in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern the long-term care facility.
- Participate in developing, maintaining, and updating written policies and procedures that govern the day-to-day functions of the nursing service department.
- Ensure that reference material (i.e., PDR’S, Federal and State Regulations, etc.) maintained at the nurses’ stations is current. Recommend written material that will assist the nursing service department in meeting the day-to-day needs of the resident.
- Ensure that the Nursing Service Procedures Manual is current and reflects the day-to-day nursing procedures performed in this facility.
- Ensure that all nursing service personnel comply with the procedures set forth in the Nursing Service Procedures Manual.
- Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Director as necessary/required, concerning the operation of the nursing service department.
- Periodically review the department’s policies, procedure manuals, job descriptions, etc. Make recommendations for revisions to the Director.
- Assist in developing methods for coordinating nursing services with other resident services to ensure the continuity of the resident’s total regimen of care.
- Ensure that all nursing service personnel are in compliance with their respective job descriptions.
- Participate in the development, maintenance, and implementation of the facility’s quality assurance program for the nursing service department.
- Participate in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies as requested by the Administrator or Director of Nursing Services.
- Periodically review the resident’s written discharge plan. Participate in the updating of the resident’s written discharge plan as required.
- Assist the Director in planning the nursing services portion of the resident’s discharge plan as necessary.
- Meet with the nursing staff, as well as support personnel, in planning the department’s services, programs, and activities.
- Admit, transfer, and discharge residents as required.
- Complete accident/incident reports as necessary.
- Interpret the department’s policies and procedures for personnel, residents, visitors, and government agencies as required.
- Perform administrative duties such as completing medical forms, reports, evaluations, studies, charting, etc., as necessary.
- Ensure that a sufficient number of licensed practical and/or registered nurses are available for your tour of duty to ensure that quality care is maintained.
- Ensure that a sufficient number of certified nursing assistants are available for your tour of duty to ensure that routine nursing care is provided to meet the daily nursing care needs of each resident.
- Develop work assignments, and/or assist in completing and performing such tasks.
- Delegate to each Charge Nurse the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to perform his/her assigned duties.
- Ensure that all nursing assistants are enrolled in or have graduated from an approved nursing assistant training program.
- Ensure that all nurse aide trainees are under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse.
- Make daily rounds of the nursing service department to ensure that all nursing service personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards. Report findings to the Director.
- Monitor absenteeism to ensure that an adequate number of nursing care personnel are on duty at all times. Report problem areas to the Director.
- Ensure that established policies and procedures, including dress codes, are followed by all departmental personnel.
- Review complaints and grievances made or filed by department personnel. Make appropriate reports to the Director as required or as may be necessary.
- Develop and maintain a good working rapport with inter-department personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to ensure that nursing services and activities can be adequately maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest, and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the unit and shift.
- Meet with your shift on a regularly scheduled basis to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas and/or to assist in the improvement of services.
- Review and evaluate your department’s workforce and make recommendations to the Director.
- Participate in employee performance evaluations, determining your shift’s staffing requirements, and making recommendations to the Director concerning employee dismissals, transfers, etc.
- Ensure that departmental disciplinary action is administered fairly and without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, age, sex, religion, handicap, or marital status.
- Report occupational exposures to blood, body fluids, infectious materials, and hazardous chemicals in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures governing accidents and incidents.
Must possess, as a minimum, a Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university.
License: Register Nurse
- Must have, as a minimum, one year(s) of experience as a supervisor in a hospital, long-term care facility, or other related health care facility.
- Must have training in rehabilitative and restorative nursing practices.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.