The New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY) has an opening for an Office Coordinator in its Washington Heights Office (WHO). In this position the Office Coordinator is responsible for providing highly-skilled administrative and paralegal support to the WHO Office and DANY community. As a DANY satellite office, the WHO’s main purpose is to bring DANY services to the Washington Heights community. On site, bi-lingual staff include members from Witness Aid Services Unit, Community Partnerships Unit and the Special Victims Bureau.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform various day-to-day administrative office duties. Answer phone lines and direct calls, schedule appointments and maintain calendars, maintain reception area, and manage office supplies inventory and place orders.
- Responsible for working with the Director of the office to ensure efficient management of the Washington Heights office.
- Maintain and update the Washington Heights Office’s database; create and manage log of Office activity.
- Assist Assistant District Attorneys with obtaining a supporting deposition and gather background on domestic violence cases using appropriate databases.
- Assist with interpretation between victims and Assistant District Attorney’s as needed.
- Assist with initial screening of walk-ins.
- Greet witnesses and visitors; notify the appropriate staff member of their arrival.
- Assist the Director with organizing and preparation of office events and meetings.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- Perform all assignments in an accurate, professional and expeditious manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Ability to quickly learn in-house proprietary applications.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, witnesses, defense attorneys, law enforcement agencies and community organizations to build institutional relationships a must.
- Computer proficiency required: Microsoft Office (specifically Excel); advanced knowledge of criminal justice investigative internet search techniques.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word required; knowledge of Access and Excel required.
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Bi-lingual Spanish speaking.
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Paralegal experience.
- Knowledge of the New York County District Attorney’s Office and the criminal justice system
- Experience in the area of domestic violence.
- American Sign Language proficiency.
- 1 year commitment to the hiring unit
- Pursuant to the Mayor’s Executive Order 75, as of August 2, 2021, all newly hired employees must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with DANY, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved at the time of your on-boarding process.
- As a current or prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. Please review the notice to see if you may be eligible for programs and how to apply at nyc.gov/studentloans .
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.