HOOD CONTAINER CORPORATION
Hood Container Corporation is seeking a business focused Controller to help us transform our Box Plant in Houston, Texas. Hood Container Houston is corrugated box facility that manufactures corrugated sheets and has multiple converting assets on-site, the Controller would have financial responsibility for the manufacturing plant and two off-site warehouses.
The Plant Controller is a key leader on the plant leadership team. Contributes to all areas of plant management and provide strong financial leadership. The Plant Controller is responsible for planning and coordinating plant budget and business planning activities in alignment with corporate policies, procedures and practices. The incumbent will provide financial direction to the plant and provide recommendations to improve site performance. This position will report directly to the Regional Controller with dotted line responsibility to facility General Manager and Corporate Controller.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactive Business Partner that collaborates with General Manager and other Plant Leaders to explain results, make improvements, manage projects, identify inefficiencies, understand operations and lead the development of complex analysis
- Provides proactive/unsolicited consultation, interpretation and education of complex financial and operational matters to various departmental leaders used to drive business decisions
- Analyze variances and communicates explanations to management with recommended actions
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, G/L, Inventory/Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Manage month-end closing and prepare monthly financial statements and other operational reports for site
- Prepare forecasts of income statement and balance sheet for the Plant
- Must work across organization boundaries and all levels of the company to achieve plant and corporate objectives
- Integrates and trains new staff while leading the continued professional development of the existing team
- Shares best practices across finance team, e.g. process improvements, financial modeling and procedures updates
- Monitor and implement plant internal controls (in conjunction with corporate policies) as necessary to ensure reporting integrity, safeguard company assets, and identify risks
- Ensures proper accounting in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as well as local statutory requirements
- Own local cost model process in accordance to corporate direction
- Ensure direct reports have a clear understanding of their performance expectations
- Conduct periodic reviews of performance
- Facilitate training opportunities to improve awareness of plant analysis and business partnering opportunities, general and plant cost accounting, purchasing and accounts payable
- At least 6-10 years’ experience in a similar position
- Manufacturing and Cost Accounting experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel (i.e. – spreadsheet creation/editing, pivot tables, data manipulation/analysis and formulas creation etc.) PowerPoint (presentation creation and editing) and MS Word (document creation, formatting and editing etc.)
- Travel as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- Coursework including Intermediate and Cost Accounting
- Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting techniques as well as proficiency with financial statement analysis and projection
- Packaging & Corrugated Industry Experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong customer focus with analytical, financial, and economic thinking skills
- Highly motivated, proactive, willingness to engage and partner
- Detail oriented with a strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible and able to prioritize multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
- Proven initiative and willingness to drive change, with a focus on innovation, process improvement and solving problems
- Basic self-awareness and an understanding of how personal behavior impacts others
- Demonstrate appreciation of and sensitivity toward a wide range of cultural and personal differences
- Knowledge of US GAAP
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens and customers we serve. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Our Story: Hood Container Corporation is a family-owned, mill to market company specializing in containerboard and kraft paper, corrugated boxes, high graphic displays, and contract packaging. Our commitment to customer happiness, employee well-being, environmental stewardship, and operational excellence drive our business. Over the last eight years Hood Container Corporation has grown to become one of the top ten Paper and Packaging Companies in the United States. Our integrated company resources allow for a unique dynamic that evolves with every addition to our geographic footprint. We excel at offering the benefits of a large corporation, while operating as a boutique business building close relationships with our customers.
Our Mission: Through our unwavering commitment to safety, innovation, and sustainability, we passionately deliver indispensable value to our customers, employees, suppliers, communities, and stakeholders.
Our Vision: A unified culture that creates innovative customer solutions.
Check out www.hoodcontainer.com to learn more or check out Hood Container Corporation on Social Media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube).
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.