Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Within this group the Reference Data team oversees the identification, consistent use, and control of enterprise and local Reference Data in accordance with the firm’s Data Governance framework. Reference Data are those critical, predefined classification and coding schemes widely used to organize business data for consistent handling, decision making and regulatory reporting.
The Reference Data Lead evaluates the current state of the firm’s reference data and directs its cleanup and on-going management. The Lead provides guidance to new development efforts, architectural designs and the implementation of strategic Reference Data Management solution, helping SMBC transition from current state to Data as a Service (DaaS). The role requires effective delivery of both short-term tactical solutions and longer-term strategic initiatives.
The successful candidate will be proficient at both business analysis and data investigation with strong research, problem-solving, and organizational skills and with the ability to multi-task. The successful candidate takes ownership, works without detailed supervision, and can communicate and collaborate effectively across a wide range of stakeholders from business to technical, front to back office, management to front-line staff.
- Document the location and flow of reference data across company applications and databases.
- Analyze and assess the current state of the data and requirements for remediation.
- Prioritize and manage efforts involving data owners, subject matter experts and IT to clean and bring reference data sets into alignment with requirements for accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in the selection and set up of company’s Reference Data Master repository.
- Manage projects that replace legacy reference data structures and build out Reference Data as a Service.
- Work with the Data Architecture team and provide guidance to development efforts to ensure that reference data is appropriately sourced and managed within new development.
- Establish change control and monitoring processes for reference data sets.
- Oversee the setup and ongoing accuracy of key reference data terms and metadata in the firm’s data governance catalog.
- Research external authoritative sources of reference data and serve as a knowledge expert for these for the department and business.
- Design and implement metrics for tracking compliance to data governance standards.
- Evaluate and facilitate the resolution of issues involving reference data use and quality.
- Within all efforts and with all user groups, educate and reinforce the firm’s data governance framework.
- Seven or more years of professional experience in large corporate settings focused on the use of and management of reference data.
- Have participated in and contributed substantially to implementing reference data standardization efforts and design solutions.
- Has experience in constructing SQL queries and in no-code data prep, blending and analysis tools such as Alteryx.
- Demonstrates a solid technical orientation by having spent time on technical projects or as a technical professional, and has a strong understanding of relational database concepts, ETL fundamentals, transaction processing, and testing protocols.
- Shows an understanding of data management concepts – data quality, data lineage, data lifecycle, master/reference data management, metadata management.
- Has excellent analytic, problem solving and logical reasoning skills with high attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Shows superb interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills that will enable the candidate to support internal clients, build effective relationships, communicate reference data concepts, and contribute to greater governance efforts.
- Can digest complexity while maintaining an understanding of the “big picture” of business needs and strategic direction.
- Is a team player with a process-driven mindset who is energized by a collaborative rapidly changing enterprise.
- Experience with enterprise-level Master Data or Reference Data Management tools (MDM/RDM) such as Collibra, Tibco EBX, Ataccama, Informatica, or other
- Experience setting up and managing reference data such as industry classification schemes, exchange calendars, geography structures, currency codes, and transaction, customer, product and organization taxonomies.
- Proficiency in creating source-to-target mapping, including handling complex taxonomies and scheme-to-scheme crosswalks
- Experience under a mature Data Governance program.
- Background in finance (ideally in banking)
- Strong academic record and a BA/BS degree.
- Willing to work a hybrid home/office schedule with the office based in White Plains NY. Able to travel as needed to SMBC offices in New York City and Harborside New Jersey.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.