Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Research Assistant I / BWH Neurology
Working under the supervision of a Senior Research Assistant, Manager, or Principal Investigators and following established policies and procedures, provides assistance on clinical research studies. May be responsible for the following activities: recruiting and evaluating patients for studies; collecting and organizing patient data; scheduling patients for study visits; performing clinical tests such as phlebotomy, EKGs; maintaining and updating data generated by the study.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the implementation, both internally and externally, of clinical research studies.
- Recruits and evaluates potential study patients. Per protocol instruction, conducts telephone interviews or schedules patient for study visit and screening.
- Interact with patients/subjects regarding study, including patient education, procedural instruction, follow-up. May serve as a liaison between patient and physician.
- Interacts with research personnel at other testing sites such as Boston Children’s Hospital, escorting research participants and performing study procedures at the other sites as per protocol.
- Screens ambulatory clinic and inpatient units by abstracting medical information from patient records. Notifies health care practitioners of clinic patients who may be eligible for research studies.
- Enrolls subjects in epilepsy research studies, both in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
- Communicates often with patients and caregivers participating in clinical studies, including scheduling appointments and tests, and maintaining patient records and appropriate reporting case report forms.
- Working in concert with Principal Investigator and/or Research Manager, develops and implements patient recruitment strategies. Prepares and creates recruitment and informational mailings to patients and referring doctors.
- Will be required to perform clinical tests such as EKGs, place medical recording devices, etc.
- Monitors and sets up any needed equipment, places medical recording devices, downloads and maintains data.
- Administer patient questionnaires and cognitive testing after appropriate training.
- Collects via phlebotomy and processes biological specimens. Maintains accurate record of all samples. Prepares samples for long-term storage or shipment to outside laboratories if required.
- Organizes and maintains biological samples stored in laboratory freezers. Monitors freezers.
- Develops, organizes, and/or maintains the study database. Responsible for data quality control.
- In conjunction with Research Manager/Principal Investigator, prepares and submits both new and continuing review IRB protocols.
- Serves as point person for contact with study sponsors. This includes preparing and maintaining all regulatory and IRB documentation and scheduling and coordinating periodic monitoring visits.
- Submits participant study reimbursements and tracks other expenditures and financial receivables on each project.
- Travel to Study Start-up / Investigator Meetings as needed.
- Utilize all Partners-provided software programs for pre-award and post-award duties.
- Operates additional research software with training (software for image processing, EEG queries and clippings, specimen tracking, and freezer monitoring).
- All other duties as assigned.
- BS or BA
- New graduate with relevant course or project work
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn clinical research protocols.
- High degree of computer literacy, with ability to learn multiple software platforms.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects’ rights and individual needs.
- Must be able to multi-task and work on several studies concurrently with different Principal Investigators.
- The research assistant II will be assigned a workstation that is located near the Division of Epilepsy faculty and the outpatient neurology clinic or the inpatient epilepsy unit. Physical job duties will include sitting, standing, walking, bending, and lifting supplies < 25 lbs. Will occasionally work weekends.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.