Care for the Homeless (CFH) is seeking a Safety Security Officer for its Morris Avenue Men’s Shelter.
The Morris Avenue Men’s Shelter operates under contract with the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS) and, as a contract agency, has reporting responsibilities to DHS and is subject to inspections and audits by DHS, the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance and the Coalition for the Homeless of New York City.
SUMMARY: The Safety Security Officer is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of all clients, staff, visitors, and property around the facility. This position reports to the Security Director and the Shift Supervisor in his/her absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A SAFETY SECURITY OFFICER
- Control access at the main entrance by screening all clients, visitors, utilizing the magnetometer, x-ray machine to detect and prevent weapons from entering the building.
- Intervene to de-escalate crisis situations and document all such situations and interventions performed.
- Respond to incidents.
- Complete logs, incident reports and all other required documentation.
- Make calls to the police, fire department and other first responders as directed.
- Perform administrative duties and receptionist duties at operations desk.
- Monitor the video surveillance cameras and fire prevention detection of alarm notification system.
- Ensure safety of all and security of all equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide coverage for the general welfare and safety of the shelter residents, staff, and volunteers.
- Provide crisis prevention and intervention as needed.
- Complete routine resident and facility checks to ensure that residents are not at risk and that the facility is free of potential hazards (leaks, fire, destruction of property, etc.).
- Record incidents and residents’ grievances appropriate in logbook and on incident report.
- ·Conduct regular fire drills during day, evening, night and weekend shifts ensuring that all staff and residents follow procedure.
- Interact with NYPD, EMS, NYFD, and know when it is appropriate to make emergency calls.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS OF A SAFETY SECURITY OFFICER:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma required.
- Must have NYS Security Guard License and current 8-hour annual Certificate.
- F89 Fire Guard License
EXPERIENCE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OF A SAFETY SECURITY OFFICER
- Minimum two years’ experience working in a residential facility, preferably experience working with dual-diagnosed individuals, mental health and substance abuse issues, and some supervisory experience.
- Must have good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively both written and oral.
- Ability to handle and prevent crisis situations with minimal supervision.
- Must have some computer skills and be able to formulate incident reports.
- Ability to work with clientele that have special needs and aid with respect and compassion.
- Help to foster and to promote a positive and harmonious atmosphere at the shelter.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts, weekends, and overtime if necessary.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.