GE Power Portfolio
Job Description Summary
Risk and Reliability engineering is a cross-functional engineering discipline centered on an approach, mindset, and process. All activities consider both the business and the technical needs of the customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the users needs. The discipline executes a robust process of development risk analyses, and communication of risk insights to support optimization of systems and component design for safety and reliability. This requires identification and quantification of inputs for all modes and all hazards probabilistic risk evaluations, development and communication of insights for selection of alternate system designs, and implementation of final plant designs into rigorous probabilistic risk models in support of licensing activities. This is a process that proceeds from concept to production to operation, including customer support for engineering services in the currently operating fleet.
This role contributes to the overall strategy and manages complex issues that support GEH Engineering concerning the application of Risk and Reliability methodologies to existing nuclear plants and next-generation reactors such as VTR, Natrium, and BWRX-300. Demonstrates accountability for integrating and developing probabilistic risk assessment technologies, application methodologies and supporting processes that meet business needs across the organization.
This role impacts the team’s ability to achieve service, quality and timeliness of objectives. The role is subject to operating policy objectives. There is moderate autonomy within the role. High levels of operational judgment are required to achieve outcomes required.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains PRA models of nuclear plant design and operational capabilities by logic and sequential modeling of fault scenarios, executing PRA fundamental skills in Data, Human Reliability Analysis, Accident analysis, Severe Accidents, and Source Term assessments, and using PRA tools and methods to quantify and evaluate accident sequences.
- Interfaces with other disciplines to advance risk-informed designs, developing insights and conclusions from analyses with the ability to clearly communicate findings to peers, management and customers.
- Analyzes regulatory-driven requirements to develop risk-informed solutions that drive safety and reliability into nuclear plant design and provide internal and external customers with cost savings.
- Uses integrated nuclear plant knowledge to assist in developing digital applications such as data processing, condition monitoring, and data analytics to improve customer plant performance and reduce costs.
- Provides technical guidance and training to new and experienced engineers, specialists, and managers.
- Represents GEH to customers, nuclear regulators and at industry meetings.
- Authors and presents state-of-the-art PRA papers in technical publications and conferences.
- Provides leadership for assigned organizational responsibilities, programs, and personnel
- Supports the PRA Technical Leader by articulating work plans the PRA team will use to address the technical work scope requested, including those in support of proposals for client work
- Requires specialized knowledge within the function. Influences the development of strategy for the area of responsibility, including control of resources and influences policy formulation.
- Interprets simple internal and external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve products, processes or services. Stays informed of industry trends that may inform work.
- Uses high level of judgment to make decisions and handle complex tasks or problems in areas of operational, product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Has ability to assess quality of information given and ask pertinent questions to stakeholders. Able to offer new solutions to problems outside of set parameters and is able to construct and provide recommendations. Uses multiple internal and some external sources outside of own function to help arrive at a decision.
- May lead functional teams or projects with minimal resource requirements, risk, and/or complexity. Communicates difficult concepts and may influence others’ options on particular topics. May guide others to consider a different point of view.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering from an accredited university or college
- 10 years cumulative experience in executing PRA fundamental skills of Data, Human Reliability Analysis, Accident analysis, Severe Accidents, Source Term assessments and related analytical skills.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in nuclear engineering discipline.
- Proven problem analysis skills with demonstrated ability to clearly communicate results.
- Demonstrated understanding of Importance Analysis, Uncertainty Analysis, and Failure Modes & Effects Analysis, 3+ years of experience in one or more.
- Applied experience in development of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 PRAs.
- Extensive experience with PRA logic model and quantification codes, preferably CAFTA.
- Detailed knowledge in Boiling Water Reactor operation and safety analysis.
- Experience with NRC Regulatory Processes, e.g., Reg Guide 1.174, ASME/ANS PRA Standards, 10 CFR 50.65 and 50.69, Mitigating Systems Performance Index (MSPI)
- Experience in Licensing Modernization Process and other current risk informed regulatory topics
- Experienced in PRA internal and external hazards analyses, including Fire and Seismic PRA.
- Experience in support and implementation of programs for Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Inspectability (RAMI) to influence plant design.
- Experience in leading and participating in Industry PRA Peer Reviews
- Experience in programming using CAFTA APIs, R+, Visual Basic
- Experience with international nuclear safety standards and practices.
- Experience in operations, maintenance, or engineering at a BWR.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and external customers
- Familiarity with a variety of engineering areas
- Knowledge and experience in power / nuclear plant operations and quality system requirements
- Ability to undertake occasional work on client site
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and cope under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects.
- Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs.
- Established project management skills.
The salary range for this position is $106k-155k. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a performance bonus.
Available health and welfare benefits include healthcare, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage; savings account options (such as a Health Care Flexible Savings Account, Health Reimbursement Account, Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account); and an employee assistance program. Additional benefits include a defined contribution 401(k) plan, employee life insurance, optional dependent life insurance, employee accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage, salary continuance program benefits for disability, optional long-term disability, pre-tax transportation/commuter program, paid holidays, paid time off, parental leave, a layoff plan for salaried employees, tuition reimbursement program, use of Cariloop, adoption assistance, optional identity theft prevention insurance, optional personal legal assistance, and optional personal excess liability insurance.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
#LI-Remote – This is a remote position
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.