The Modern is looking for a Server Assistant/Food Runner to join their team in the Bar Room!
The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. The restaurant features refined, unexpectedly playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in two distinct culinary experiences: a bold prix fixe menu in the dining room and an à la carte menu in the lively Bar Room. An extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in both classic and emerging regions. Our service is characterized by warmth and approachability, with an unwavering commitment to excellence and a focus on creating unique experiences for guests. With its serene atmosphere and modern aesthetic, the restaurant’s design by the New York-based architecture firm Bentel & Bentel offers a welcome escape from the bustling Midtown neighborhood it calls home.
Who you are: A vital member of the Service team, the Server Assistant/Runner role encompasses setting up the dining room, setting tables, clearing tables, pouring water, running food, working with servers and expediters, resetting the dining room, polishing glassware and various tasks that support service at the restaurant. You are a liaison between the kitchen and service teams and works hand in hand with the Expeditor to ensure that food gets delivered from the kitchen to our guests in a timely, hospitable manner. This position must possess strong communication skills, have the ability to mentally and physically multi-task, and must be able to remain calm under pressure.
What you’ll do:
- Support the team with setup, breakdown, and any additional needs to ensure a smooth and successfully run service period.
- Possess an understanding of proper steps of service and engage in table maintenance and resetting with efficiency, speed and grace.
- Maintain the high standards of cleanliness and proper appearance throughout all areas of the restaurant.
- Demonstrate a passion for food and hospitality with a sound understanding of menu items including preparations, ingredients, and plating.
- Ensure that the kitchen pass is stocked, organized, and all supplies are accessible throughout service.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the kitchen and service teams at all times.
What we need from you:
- 1+ years in a guest-facing restaurant role or runner position
- Ability to walk or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to balance & carry multiple plates, glass racks and or/glasses, and lift objects up to 30 lbs.
- English fluency and additional languages preferred, but not required
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive hourly pay + tips
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you with an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- 51% dining discount throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Employee Assistance Program to support overall mental wellbeing
- Exclusive access to primary care, mental health, and other healthcare services through Radish Health
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Access to the USHG HUGS Employee Relief Fund
Please note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. This position may be required to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the restaurant.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please e-mail [email protected] for assistance.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.