Amazon Dev Center U.S., Inc.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or five or more years of work experience in System development as an equivalent.
- 5 or more years of people management experience leading development teams.
- Experience designing, building, and operating large-scale distributed systems or web services.
- Experience in managing large scale infrastructure and automation.
- Experience engaging and influencing senior executives using both verbal and written communication tools.
The Amazon DynamoDB Storage Services team is looking for a talented Systems Development Manager to join our rapidly growing team in Atlanta.
Are you an experienced people manager who also possesses strong technical knowledge in DevOps methodology, system architecture, engineering, development, and operations? Do you have experience managing a team of Software, System, or DevOps Engineers in an enterprise environment, where you’ve implemented automated solutions across a variety of applications and systems? If you’re interested in leading a team that will impact the experience of thousands of AWS DynamoDB users, come join us!
Here at DynamoDB, we build and manage a highly scalable, distributed key-value and document database service and focus on the hard problems so customers can focus on their business. Many of the world’s fastest growing businesses depend on the scale and performance of DynamoDB to support their mission-critical workloads. Our mission is to provide customers with best-in-class cloud database services to store, query, and analyze the enormous datasets that their businesses generate. We build distributed storage, index, and query systems that are scalable, low cost, and easy to manage and use.
Joining the Amazon DynamoDB Storage Services team gives you the opportunity to:
- Join a fast-growing team within DynamoDB as we expand to the East Coast
- Solve challenging operational problems for a large scale, distributed and stateful system
- Build services and tooling to operate a dynamically changing production environment
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
A Software Development Manager is responsible for leading a team of engineers in building and supporting tools and workflows that safeguard and automate operational success. You’ll use data to measure success and ensure engineering time is used efficiently, as well as proposing actionable solutions, both technical and cultural, that improve the customer the customer experience. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for the growth and development of the team, coaching engineers through high value initiatives and guiding them to enriching collaboration.
- Expertise in operational excellence, security compliance, and distributed systems’ resiliency.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience developing in Python for similar modern programming language, such as C++, Java, C#, or Ruby.
- Expertise in operations of highly available and scalable internet systems with large customer base.
- Experience managing staff and meetings across multiple sites and time zones.
- Excellent communication abilities, both verbal and written, including long-form business writing on complex topics.
- Ability to drive effective teamwork, collaboration and commitment.
- Excellent analytical problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience developing and improving operational documentation, procedures and workflows.
- Ability to credibly coordinate between technical teams, peers and business stakeholders.
- Ability to quickly learn and adopt new technologies
- Experience managing on-call support coverage, escalation and critical issue management.
- Experience in contributing to the definition and implementation of automation opportunities within an operations environment.
- Experience in root cause analysis and error correction, identifying changes to procedures and systems to implement long term fixes and avoid repeating issues.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.