Kinder Morgan, one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America, has been in operation since 1997. Over the years, we have understood that not only do our people contribute to our success, but that they should share in that success. We provide all employees with a safe, honest, trustworthy, ethical, respectful and professional work environment. We believe in building friendly and personal long-term relationships by supporting our employees with ongoing training, continued growth and internal advancement while cultivating teamwork and diversity with a culture of inclusion from various experiences and backgrounds. Dedicated to providing security to our employees, we offer a comprehensive benefit program that includes, medical, dental, vision, disability, life, 401(k), a retirement contribution (pension plan) and more.
Join our team and help shape the present and future of North America’s energy infrastructure with a career at Kinder Morgan.
As a Specialist-Network Design Lead, your role is to ensure the stability and integrity of Kinder Morgan’s data, Internet Protocol (IP) voice, IP video and wireless data services. This is achieved by planning, designing and developing Local Area Networks (LANs) and Wide Area Networks (WANs) across the organization. In addition, Network Design Specialists participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support and optimization of all network hardware, software and communication links. They will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required.
The Specialist-Network Design Lead will be responsible for completing basic tasks:
- Design, develop, install, integrate, manage, operate, and maintain hardware and software related solutions including LAN/WAN, terrestrial, radio, cellular, and satellite infrastructures for company data, voice and video networks.
- Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Ensure network connectivity of all servers, workstations, IP telephony equipment and other network appliances.
- Analyze current network infrastructure, and plan and oversee enhancements or upgrades.
- Collaborate with management and department leaders to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
- Participate in managing all network security solutions, perform security audits, and equipment audits, backups and recovery.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry and for beneficial incorporation into network.
- Monitor and troubleshoot network performance and provide reports and statistics when required.
- Perform network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Provide guidance for IT and telecommunication networks.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering is preferred but not required. A minimum of ten years direct work experience
in computer or service provider networking may be considered a substitute for a degree.
- A minimum of five years direct work experience in computer or service provider networking is required.
- In-depth knowledge of routing protocols.
- Working knowledge of and experience with frame relay and provider MPLS-based networks (e.g., AT&T Private IP), Cisco Systems’ IOS, Juniper Networks’ JunOS, IPSEC VPNs, and SSL VPNs.
- Working knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Windows 7 and/or XP Personal Computer (PC) operating system(s).
- Working knowledge of and experience with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, Project, Visio, and PowerPoint.
- Competence with network administration and testing tools including but not limited to Telnet, ping, trace route, and NSLookup.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must have well-developed organizational skills, be proficient in oral and written communications, and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
- Must maintain a regular, dependable attendance and high level of performance.
- Must maintain a high regard for personal safety, the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Use personal judgment and specialized knowledge to provide and safeguard confidential information.
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
- At least ten years of direct work experience in network engineering or designing and implementing networks.
- Experience working for a managed services provider or ISP/carrier as a tier 3/4 support engineer or architectural role on core infrastructure side.
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols and Internet standards, including Cisco Systems’ entire product line, TCP/UDP, IP, ICMP, DNS, SNMP, OSPF, BGP, Ethernet, Verizon Private IP, xDSL, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), IPSec, WLAN, content networking, and copper and fiber standards. Juniper experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge of and experience with network management and capacity trending tools, Cisco Secure ACS, packet capture/analysis (e.g., EtherPeek, Sniffer, or Wireshark).
- Experience and success with LAN, WAN and/or wireless LAN/WAN design and implementation.
- Experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- Knowledge of IP telephony systems.
- Network automation experience, preferably on Python.
- Proficiency in one or more of following: C/C++, Perl, Python, shell scripting
- Relational database management system (RDBMS)
- Juniper Networks certification(s) at the “Expert” level (JNCIE-ENT, JNCIE-SP).
- Cisco Systems certification(s) at the “Professional” level (CCDP, CCNP, CCSP, CCVP).
- Cisco Systems certification(s) at the “Expert” level (CCIE).
- ITIL v3 Foundation
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Proven experience in network infrastructure design, installation, analysis, management, operation and troubleshooting.
- Ability to work with a team, take direction from supervisor(s), focus attention on details, follow work rules and adhere to work schedules.
- Must be detail-oriented, and possess strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize daily work in a high-pressure environment, and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to perform all essential functions of the job, and be able to perform multiple, high priority tasks concurrently with strict and often short deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, and perform the required and expected duties with minimal supervision.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization in a professional, diplomatic, and tactful manner.
- Ability to conduct independent research into networking issues and products as required.
- Must possess strong customer service orientation.
- Corporate Office – Cubicle
- Required to carry a company-provided cell phone/pager, and be available to respond during working and non-working (i.e. night/weekend) hours as needed.
- Non-working (i.e. night/weekend) hours availability for making system changes.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting moderately heavy objects such as routers, switches, computers and peripherals.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers
KINDER MORGAN OFFERS:
Competitive wages; job level and salary commensurate with experience and skill sets
401(k) Savings Plans
Comprehensive Medical/Rx and Dental Plans
Paid Time Off
Paid Bus Pass or Parking
Hybrid work schedules
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed.
This position may perform other duties as assigned. Kinder Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.