Handmade Speciality Products
Handmade Speciality Products is a family-owned bakery manufacturer, operating out of a BRC A grade production facility in Coventry. From humble beginnings making a small range of flapjacks in a kitchen in 1987, our company soon became the market leader in single serve flapjacks, muffins, biscuits and cake slices.
Today, Handmade specialises in supplying both private label and in-house branded ranges across the UK and Europe. We have customers in both the retail and foodservice sectors, including national retail chains, wholesalers and independents.
Our forward-thinking team are passionate about our products and customers, focused on being great innovators through NPD. The company is continuing to grow with ambitious plans to better our offering and service, supported by a very experienced senior team with long bakery backgrounds.
Being privately owned the company benefits from continual investment in both our factory and people.
Specification Technologist Job Role
The Specification Technologist function at Handmade is to provide advice relating to scientific, technical and legislative issues. Their key responsibility is to help the site understand current food safety laws and packaging requirements. This includes ensuring products are safe for consumption and correctly labelled to meet legal requirements. Correct labelling requires precise information about allergen and nutritional content, warning messages, and artwork that is appropriate.
The Specification Technologist will work very closely with the Quality Manager to ensure the products being produced are ready for sale and there are no legal issues preventing the product from reaching the market. Their feedback will also be used to help the product development team create new products. They are also required to support the Technical Manager and deputies in the absence of the Quality Manager ensuring the company operates to the highest quality and food safety standards and to continuously monitor and improve the quality and safety of products in collaboration with all department managers.
- Creating and reviewing product specification requirements. Create simple product specifications, which can be understood by production staff and managers.
- Review and maintain Customer Specifications Manuals of signed Specifications.
- Review and approve packaging details and product artwork.
- Ensure that all legislative requirements are met while keeping the product development team happy with the design of the product.
- Create standard operating procedures for artwork creation. Develop operating procedures which highlight the content that must be included in every piece of artwork or promotional material created by the company.
- Have a very high-level awareness of labelling requirements, a strong understanding of the regulatory requirements for labels. Understand the legislative requirements for every market in which the business sells products and transfer this knowledge to other staff in the bakery in an easy-to-understand way.
- Manage specifications projects and deliver them on time. Oversee a variety of projects relating to product specifications. These projects must be prioritised and completed in a timely fashion.
- Available to answer questions from colleagues, visitors and auditors.
- Provide advice on technical aspects of products. Evaluate the products being produced, providing advice on their shelf life and nutritional value.
- Help bring new products and promotional products to market.
- Compiles technical reports, produces accurate statistics, relevant figures, undertakes data analysis, identifies and investigates variations.
- Develops and maintains technical databases and spreadsheets.
- Actively participates in and promotes company health and safety campaigns, policies and procedures, and ensures personal safety and that of colleagues at all times.
Reference ID: HSP-SC
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.